Saturday, September 26, 2009

Leaving San Diego XXXVIII


At the in-laws, I rose at 1:00 p.m. once I was finished with sleep. I had my usual breakfast of toast with spun honey and cinnamon, nonfat milk and coffee. We gathered at the car for the daily "ride." We were to ride to Savannah today. The car was a new, 2009, burgundy Chevy Impala. I was informed the car came to $9,000 after rebates, which was a real buy. Earlier, it had been used as a driver's-ed training car with 1,500 miles on the odometer. As soon as I was seated in the right, front passenger seat, I was immediately aware of the "Christmas tree" air freshener suspended from the rear-view mirror. The burgundy tree was labeled, "Spice." I suspected it was some sort of spice intended to disguise the stench of dead bodies after a nuclear holocaust. I was thankful for the miracle of "adaptation" where nasal neurons would soon stop firing after prolonged exposure to an offensive odor. Please stop firing. Once we were all buckled up, Lee carefully maneuvered the shift selector through each gear setting with the precision of a brain surgeon pointing out landmarks on a scalp before cutting...Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive. With careful and deliberate intent, we were on our way. I was not sure how far we planned to go. Lee mentioned he wanted to "fill 'er up" before hitting the open road. I leaned over and noticed the fuel gauge was already at the three-quarter-full mark. The electronic fuel calculator indicated a fuel range of 458 miles. Would we be crossing state lines today?

No comments:

Post a Comment