Thursday, September 10, 2009

Leaving San Diego XXIII


This was Friday, and we would be camping again tonight. I still do not see what is so attractive about camping...with the mud and mosquitoes? Someone usually had loud music playing somewhere. Once settled into our tent, I had my corn chips, but had forgotten the cheese dip...which was in the cooler on the back seat of the car. Getting back up was such a huge hassle...getting my shoes on; finding the car keys and unzipping the tent without getting tent material caught in the zipper. My wife said she would get the dip if I rubbed her feet in return. I figured I could do that. After eating my fill of chips and dip, I reclined and rubbed feet that were near my head. I daydreamed of crawling underneath barbed wire through enemy lines with bullets zipping overhead. I suddenly passed gas. I hoped my wife would not notice. Unfortunately, it was very bad. She let out a loud groan. I reminded her of the clause in our marriage contract...the, "for better or worse" part. She said she had not signed up for this. I insisted I was within my rights. I am reminded of a story from her sister, Becky T. She was working with first-graders on their first day of school. At noon, one boy began pulling on his jacket to go home. She stopped him and reminded him he was no longer in pre-school, but was now in first grade where he would be spending all day at school. He responded, "Who the h___ signed me up for this?"

No comments:

Post a Comment