Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Leaving San Diego XXXV

It was very hot and muggy in Schaumburg, a western suburb of Chicago. Becky told us to make ourselves at home. Our plan was to stay overnight, then drive to my wife's parents house in Mendota, Ill. But there were thunderstorms with tornado warnings. We decided to wait until the storm had passed through. I stood on the porch with my camera poised, hoping to catch a thunderbolt hitting nearby. The odds were remote, but you never know? I noticed the gutters were plugged with water gushing over the tops. One gutter had baby maple trees growing in the top. I saw a job I could do. No one wants to clean gutters. I like to see the water gushing out the pipe...as it should. I wanted a cup of coffee, but could not find the filters. So I tore a paper towel until it fit the coffee grounds basket. The coffee took longer to drip, but it worked. When searching the kitchen cabinets for the filters, I noticed two shelves that were about to collapse...something else for me to do. I removed the plates and bowls from that shelf and installed the shelf supports the way nature intended. I like fixing these little things in someone's house when visiting. We searched the computer room for the tortoise. I couldn't believe it had managed to get inside the closet and behind some shoes. Watching the tortoise move was painful for me. Everything was in slow motion. I hoped I would not step on it when going to the bathroom in the night...another experience in slow motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment