Thursday, September 3, 2009

Leaving San Diego XVII

This was our second night in the Alumni House on the campus of Point Loma Nazarene University. I finally graduated from here in 2003 with our daughter, so I qualified for the cheap rate. We shared an upstairs bathroom with three other rooms. I had to remember to lock the second door on the far side of the bathroom when using it, and more importantly, remember to unlock it when exiting. Our room looked like it had been decorated some time in the eighties. The oxidized brass plaque on our door said the room had been furnished by the class of "1949." My good friend, Reuben Welch was class president in 1949, and I was born in 1949, so I felt good about our room. The walls were white with soft, blue and white flowered wallpaper on the lower halves of the walls. There was an odd, 3/4 size door which opened to an outdoor landing that led to a circular stairwell to the ground. The stairs were chained off, being unsafe for regular usage. This was one of the original buildings left from the days of Madam Tingley and her Theosophical Society in the early 1990's. They believed in reincarnation, and the circular stairs served as entrances and exits for the eagle/human forms as they made their way to and from the buildings. I did not see any eagle droppings on our landing, nor was I about to test the launch powers. We were sleeping in a king-sized bed with tall, wooden posts on the ends of the dark wooden headboard. A large and gaudy wreath of fake, pink roses and green plastic ivy hung from the wall above our headboard. It was mounted off-center, over where my wife was sleeping, so I decided to not worry about it falling on me. Really compassionate of me, huh? After 38 years of marriage, it got like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment