Saturday, September 5, 2009

Leaving San Diego XIX







It was a nice four nights at the PLNU Alumni House, but our reservation was up. I tried to keep the mattress and two brown couch cushions out of sight when loading the car, but we still looked like the Beverly Hillbillies on vacation. With my interest in earthquakes, I wanted to photograph a fault behind the dumpster at the entrance to the maintenance building. I had passed it a zillion times, but wanted to photograph it this time. The fault is non-active (they think). I also photographed a larger one down on the beach. The earth has many faults, which make it a more interesting place to live...for some odd reason. I also photographed a portion of the Rose Canyon fault in Tecolote Park. My geology book said the fault was just behind left-center field at the upper baseball diamond. I rode my bike to meet with my wife and her students. They sometimes ate their lunches there. A 20"x30", white sign was erected to mark the fault. The ground on the left side of the fault was 50 million years old, while the dirt on the right side was only 500 thousand years old. These two patches of dirt had been sliding past one another for millions of years, and I was straddling them with one foot on each. I was deeply moved. I stood poised, with camera to my eye for ten whole minutes...just in case something was about to let go just then. I even jumped up and down a couple of times. Louis Pasteur once said, "Chance favors the mind that is prepared." I am convinced it will happen. I will just have to work on my timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment