Thursday, September 24, 2009

Leaving San Diego XXXVI

My wife's mom and step-dad were sitting in their padded chairs when we arrived in Mendota, Ill. They took good care of us while there. We all decided to go to I-hop for dinner. I ordered the turkey cheeseburger with onion rings and Diet Coke, followed by coffee with creamer. My meal mistakenly came with "french fries" instead of onion rings. I did not notice. But my observant mother-in-law did notice and notified the waitress. So I had free fries with my meal. The onion rings came later. It rained hard as we ate, but let up enough so we could stay dry while getting to the car. I drove, but was careful to stay below all speed limits and came to a complete stop at all stop signs. That is important for older folks....(older than me). Their house reminded me of the Three Bears cottage....just the right size for them. I was placed in the lone spare bedroom with double bed. My wife slept on the couch. There were long discussions about medicines. The channel nine news was the evening focus on TV, shortly before bedtime...at 9:30 p.m. The volume was turned up extremely loud. I was in another world that I might find myself in some day. I was wondering what there would be to do? We were to take a "drive" tomorrow. I was about to discover the secret world of old folks who still carried valid driver's licenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment