Friday, August 21, 2009

Leaving San Diego IV


After my microwaved lasagna dinner in our hotel room, I showered and headed to the hospital ER where I have volunteered for the past ten years. I was training Donja from Holland to replace me. We had the usual and customary emergencies tonight...sprained ankle; chest pain; skateboard accident with suspected carpal (wrist) fracture. Donja and I cleaned and prepared many bloody gurneys throughout the night. We saw one lone trauma...large Hispanic male with a knife wound to his back. There were no "bubbles" and he was lucky the knife had not punctured his lung. After a quick stitch-job, he was released into custody of the nice man in blue uniform and shiny badge. The police were always here on Saturday nights. Later, on the channel eight news, a reporter spoke of a gang fight... man stabbed...expected to survive. Yeah, that was our guy. When clocking out, I expected to surpass the 1,000-hour mark as an ER volunteer. But the system was down and would not open for me. I was disappointed. I was hoping for confetti, rice and balloons to come gushing from the monitor. I will be here only one more Saturday night before leaving for Montana. Maybe next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment