Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Leaving San Diego III

After checking with the desk at the Garden Inn Hotel, I realized we did NOT have reservations for tonight. We were too far from a library to get on Priceline. So we began checking all the fast-food places for Wifi...Carl's Jr, Arby's, Jack-in-the-Box and Del Taco. I pulled up to each location while my wife dashed to the front door, looking for a "sign." Nothing. We knew a distant McDonald's had it, but did not want to drive all the way back there. We were out of options, so back to McDonald's we went. We paid the $3.00 and my wife got to work, typing like mad. The battery icon began blinking rapidly...she almost had it...NO, not another pause! The only outlet available was in front of the servers' entrance where a promo sign was plugged in. To use it, she had to sit on the floor, directly in front of the workers' door. We had no choice, our battery was rapidly fading. She unplugged "Ronald McDonald" and borrowed enough power to complete the transaction. I sat in our booth, gazing out the window like a coward, hoping no one would place me with her. We had it...back to the Garden Inn once more. On our way, we stopped at Von's for frozen lasagne for me and a frozen vegetable tray for her... and a half-gallon of nonfat milk. We would be staying in a non-smoking, handicapped room...the only non-smoking room left. It felt so good to stretch out on the gaudy-flowered bedspread while my lasagne nuked in the microwave. I added milk and coffee. We had battled the elements and made it...once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment