Monday, August 31, 2009

Leaving San Diego XV


It was Sunday morning. I rose in time for coffee and a blueberry bagel with my wife at Einstein Bagels. Church and choir were as usual at MVNC. Afterwards, we returned to camp to break down the tent and get everything back into the car...once again. We were proud of ourselves for having followed the plan for one full week. Our friends think we are spending a fortune, but they do not know my wife. She could squeeze a penny until Abraham's head was the shape of the pennies I used to lay on the railroad tracks in front of our Indiana home. Lunch for me at Costco was the same as before...Chicken Caesar salad and Diet Coke. My wife ate at IKEA furniture store, supplemented with samples from the ends of the aisles at Costco. We were both satisfied. It was time to check in at Mission Valley Resort Hotel, which was really only a glorified motel. We had been here before, so I knew what to expect. The TV reception was nice and clear this time, so that was good. I watched several episodes of real-life ER. The "messy" images don't bother me any more...the same stuff I saw every Saturday night. I now find it very interesting. I was reminded of a conversation I had with a patient the night prior. I shared with him how I had always wanted to become a doctor. But he said that would have been a poor choice for me. I asked why? He said I was too-nice-of-a-guy to be a doctor, and that I was best doing just what I was doing... helping unfortunate people make it through their scary, and unexpected experiences in a hospital ER. I will never know for sure, but he might be right.

No comments:

Post a Comment