Saturday, August 29, 2009

Leaving San Diego XIII


Our travel plans call for two weekends of camping (as in a tent) at Mission Trails Regional Park out towards Santee, Ca. My wife sent in our reservations, so we should be all set. Her co-teacher loaned us the necessary tent (thanks Peggy F.) which was still in its box, seemingly unused. We are not real campers as many here seem to be. We don't have a gas grill. We do not have any sporting equipment (unless my spud gun counts?), and we did not bring sleeping bags. I plan to sleep in my clothes, using an old quilt (rag?), and on top of a single mattress we used to keep in the loft at the house. My wife is using blankets I am sure I once saw on the garage floor? She let me have the mattress and is sleeping on two cushions from an old couch we once threw away. She is very sacrificial that way (or cheap?). We laid an old army blanket down on the tree-bark chips before I commenced setting up the tent. I gave the instructions a quick once-over before sticking the hollow tubes together, connected by bungee cords. My wife and I argued briefly over which way to orient the tent opening...away from our camping neighbors? ...or away from the camp road and automobile headlights? We decided on, "away from the neighbors." I think we are all set for the night. They even have a shower here with hot, running water. I am proud of us for roughing it like this. Our friends have no idea. I feel like a member of Lewis and Clark's expedition team. As I lay in the tent with knees bent, I read the "tent box" for want of reading material. "...sleeps three people comfortably." I looked for fine-print to see if the third person needed to be a double-amputee?

No comments:

Post a Comment