Saturday, August 22, 2009

Leaving San Diego VI

At Mission Valley Resort Hotel, I asked at the desk about free internet? I was given the secret password and code...both interestingly the same. I found myself multi-tasking on a whole new level as I prepared my breakfast. The timer on our toaster-oven was broken, as was the top heating element. It balanced nicely on the bathroom sink. I had to remove my toast occasionally and turn it over to make sure the bottom was not burning. I spread spun honey on my toast which rested on folded newspaper over the waste basket. I could do this most easily while seated on the toilet, doing other things that should not make it to print. My milk was still frozen, having come from my wife's classroom. She would throw the cardboard, one-pint containers into the freezer once they reached their expiration dates. She claimed that stopped the aging process in its tracks. The jury is still out on that one, but I drink it anyway. I tried setting it on top of the toaster oven to thaw, but it was taking forever. So I chopped at it with my wooden, coffee stirring stick. It was a bit slushy and now with splinters, but palatable. I was reminded of growing up in Indiana and having the refrigerator quit in January. We had to set the refrigerated things on the back porch in a box. Drinking slushy milk takes some getting used to, but is not too bad...just tastes a little watery. The movie, "Twister" was on TV just then...about tornadoes. Somehow, that seemed appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment