Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Leaving San Diego XLVII

After leaving Mendota, Illinois in our Chevy Corsica rental, we were in for a long drive to a camp grounds north of Grand Rapids, Michigan for the Apple reunion. Upon entering the state highway, the left lane was filled with slow trucks for as far as I could see. I am not in the habit of getting in lines just because there is a line. That would be like raising your hand in church when you did not hear the question. Maybe all those truckers were on their way to Hell? I have heard some bad stories about that place, so I took the empty right lane. I finally came to road construction where I discovered the reason for the long line. One trucker pulled over to block me, while I wondered why he would do such a thing? He crowded me into an orange cone. The Highway Patrol officer got out of his car and pointed to the fallen cone while giving me an angry look. I squeezed between two trucks and eased through the logjam. It was at the next exit where I noticed a new sign informing motorists of the road construction and directed to use the left lane. There must have been a similar sign just before where we entered the state highway. Evidently, no one ever entered the state highway from Mendota, Illinois, and hence...no sign. I was hoping this was not a sign of things to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment