Friday, October 9, 2009

Leaving San Diego XLIV

We were soon at Starved Rock State Park, along the banks of the Illinois River. Across the river could be seen a sheer rock face about 150 feet high. Lee approached it from several angles so we would not miss anything. As the story is told, a group of American Indians were once chased to the top of this high rock wall where they starved to death. I wondered if yesterday's concrete statue was to atone for starving the Indians here? We explored the park only minimally before heading back. There was a lot of mud from recent rains. Upon pulling into the garage, I noticed the car's trip odometer registered 55.9 miles. Lee's estimate was off by only one-tenth of a mile. I was hoping one last nudge on the bumper would clip off that last tenth of a mile. At the age of 82, I guess this was as close to perfection as a guy could get. I can only hope to some day do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment