Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Leaving San Diego LI











When we were all together for dinner each day, I realized there were a bunch of us from only two Apples. I was getting accustomed to the noises in our small room at night. Bev snored loudly, but fortunately, I was a sound sleeper. Captain Joe McClure rented the houseboat and took us all around. I enjoyed the slow floats around the lake. I heard that someone had forgotten to check the fuel level later in the week and had run out of gas way out there in the middle of the nowhere. I enjoyed several late-night talks with others around the campfire. It seemed someone was always putting more logs on the fire, turning it into an eternal flame. One of the few electrical outlets in our cabin would not accept modern 3-pronged plugs, so there was always a shortage of outlets for laptops. Another outlet was broken and would not work at all. So I found the workshop and got permission to fix some things. I learned that the camp's owner had a stroke, and his wife performed most of the maintenance. I made myself useful and replaced the bad outlet in our cabin, and a bad lamp cord in another cabin. I also repaired a broken hand rail that someone had cut their hand on. If I had the time to spare, I think I could have landed a job there. But I didn't mind. I felt useful, and we had an extra outlet for our laptops in the Bird House. Did I mention the electrical breakers that kept tripping? Maybe I should stop here...

No comments:

Post a Comment